Everyone at Cornell Tech needs to know how to respond to a medical emergency. A medical emergency occurs when a person needs assistance because he or she is ill or injured. If you become aware of a person who needs medical assistance contact Campus Safety & Security immediately at 646-971-3611 or call 911 depending on the severity of the illness or injury.
Directives for the Cornell Tech Community
- If you become aware of someone that is ill or injured contact Campus Safety & Security immediately at (646) 971-3611
- Call 911 and then Campus Safety & Security if:
- The person has lost consciousness
- The person cannot breathe
- The person has chest pains
- The person has a severe injury
- If in doubt of severity, call 911
- Provide the following information when calling:
- Your location
- What happened
- How many people are sick or injured?
- Stay with the person(s) if possible. Keep them still and comfortable until help arrives.
- Have a co-worker meet first responders and direct them to the location of the injured.
- Do not move the person unless he or she is at risk of further serious injury.
- Familiarize yourself with the location of Automated External Defibrillators and First Aid kits. The Bloomberg Center is equipped with an AED & First Aid kit mounted on the wall of every floor by the micro-kitchens.
- If conscious and oriented, an individual can make decisions for their own health care needs. If unconscious, these decisions will be made by the professional medical service personnel on the scene.